Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The best veggie chilli ever?


I am partial to spicy, mexican inspired food, being a girl who likes her beans and pulses and guacamole.

I'd attempted vegetarian chili in the past, using TVP (or Quorn) 'mince', but the taste and texture was ultimately unsatisfying, I'd abandoned any hope of making a decent chili until I tried this simple recipe I'd come across on a message board.


So I'll never make it as a food blogger, but you get the picture.

Ingredients
1 can Kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can Black beans, drained and rinsed (I just used another can of Kidney beans)
1 can Pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
1 chopped red/green/yellow pepper (depends on preference, or in my case, whatever was left in the fridge!)
1 red onion, diced
1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes
1 cup vegetable stock (120ml)
3 garlic cloves (I used more like 4-5)
1 generous tbsp of chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
3-4 glugs soy sauce
Pinch of tsp kosher/sea salt
A few grinds of black pepper

Directions
Chop the garlic, onion, and red pepper. Saute lightly over medium high heat in 1-2 tsp olive oil
Add everything else into the pot! Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 30 min or longer as needed
Serve with tortilla chips (or brown rice) and add whatever toppings you usually would (depending if you're vegan/vegetarian), like guacamole! But I enjoyed it just as well without!

Perfect winter comfort food.

No comments:

Post a Comment